Registered Nurse (RN)
Under the general supervision of the Director of Nursing, the Registered Nurse is accountable for planning, organizing, coordinating and managing the operations of the Care Coordination with use of Nursing Visit Protocols, Pharmacy and Laboratory. Assures that quality care is provided in the most effective and efficient manner, coordinating service delivery and relationships with community resources and community partners. Adheres to state and federal guidelines relating to primary care and laboratory services. Formulates, recommends, evaluates and interprets clinical policy in accordance with standards. Works collaboratively with the Clinic Manager to ensure delivery of effective patient care services while promoting a safe environment. Provides coaching and mentoring to the Medical Assistants, Referral Coordinators, and Team Leads.
Minimum Position Qualifications
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing
- Experience / Training: Two-year experience clinical experience
- License / Certification: Current RN License; current BLS Certificate
Preferred Position Qualifications
- Bilingual English/Spanish
- Experience in a Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC)
- Designation of Public Health Nurse Certification with California Board of Registered Nursing
Job Responsibilities & Duties
- Direct Patient Care
- Responsible for triage of urgent care or hospital follow patients via telephone, patient portal, nurse advice line, or in-person, following standard protocol established by the Chief Medical Officer.
- Dispenses and/or administers medications orally or by injection as ordered by medical providers
and according to established policies and procedures, and documents as appropriate.
- Provides patient education, individual and group sessions, as directed by medical providers.
- Counsels and provides patients with community resource assistance.
- Performs suture removal or wound care following standardized procedures.
- Calls in prescription refill orders as directed by medical providers.
- Informs patients of abnormal lab reports, additional tests needed, health education, or community referrals as directed by medical providers.
- Responsible for submitting Confidential Morbidity Reports to Orange County Health Care Agency as needed and directed by medical providers.
- Adheres to Nurse Visit Protocols and provides multi-disciplinary team base care/collaboration.
- Population Management for High Risk Patients
- Oversees the use of case management and population health management techniques to effectively coordinate patient care with an aim of reducing unnecessary hospital emergency department utilization.
- Leads collaboration efforts with local hospitals to facilitate timely care transitions for patients.
- Supervises outreach to new patients who have identified Hurtt as their primary care provider and complies with CalOptima screening guidelines for all age groups.
- Oversees the coordination of health care and enabling services for high risk patients.
- Responsible for the coordinating, organizing, and monitoring of HEDIS activities in collaboration with the Clinic Manager and Team Leads.
- Oversees the timely submission, documentation, and follow-up of Breast Cervical Cancer Treatment Program patients.
- Part of the collaborative care team efforts in “HAM” Hurtt Addiction Medicine program, providing care management coordination to high risk addiction population groups with both Medical Provider and Behavioral Health.
- Care Coordination
- Responsible for daily supervision, annual performance evaluation, training, and development of Referral Coordinators.
- Develops and conducts routine Care Coordination meetings to support PCMH initiatives.
- Oversees the development of Care Coordination policies, procedures and metrics, in collaboration with the Chief Medical Officer, Director of Nursing, and Clinic Managers.
- Responsible for the timely submission, authorization, and follow-up of referrals to specialty care, community resources, and/or other health care providers.
- Maintains relationships and positive communication with specialty care providers, health plans, hospitals, and other health care networks.
- Pharmacy Services
- Reviews and conducts medication refill/dispensing per eCW orders, thoroughly and independently.
- Identifies the six rights of medication (right patient, right drug, right dose, right time, and right documentation.)
- Provides medication reconciliation for Nurse Visit Protocols within eCW.
- Restocks outpatient and in-clinic pharmacy to par levels with the direct guidance of the Director of Pharmacy.
- Under the direction of the Pharmacy Director is responsible for managing and maintaining the pharmacy inventory at all locations.
- Laboratory Services
- Ensures the health center’s laboratory services are provided in adherence to all prevailing laws and regulations.
- Ensures that laboratory services are delivered in a values based manner and that health center policies and procedures governing laboratory services are adhered to.
- Provides general oversight, and training of the Medical Assistants around laboratory best practices.
- Ensures that all laboratory equipment is properly calibrated and performs periodic testing to ensure equipment is functioning at an optima level.
- Supports Medical Assistants in resolving complex issues and non-routine challenges.
- Provides guidance to Medical Assistants in managing technical, quality and administrative tasks with contracted laboratory vendors
- Administrative Support
- Advise Clinic Managers about recommended immunization policies, clinical procedures, and training for Medical Assistant staff, as needed.
- Responsible for performing and monitoring Medical Assistant and Team Lead competencies and skill testing on a regular basis.
- Responsible for monthly monitoring of clinic emergency equipment (i.e. oxygen, emergency kit, and AED) at all sites
- In collaboration with the Clinic Manager is responsible for preparing for and participating in program audits, including but not limited to: VFC/A, CalOptima, Monarch, CHOC, CHPD, F-PACT, EWC-CDP, and HRSA.
- Participates and leads Patient Centered Medical Home (PCMH) initiatives.
- Coordinates with the Clinic Manager and Team Leads to ensure proper inventory of medical supplies and vaccines are maintained.
- Participates and supports at the QI/QA committee initiatives to deliver a high level of primary care services.
- Serves as HURTT Health Clinic representative in community outreach events such as health fairs, immunization clinics, and nurse lead patient education groups.
- Reviews and assess MA procedure protocol initial as well as annually for Hurtt MAs, providing educational support and clinical patient care guidance
- Patient Relations
- Performs all duties and responsibilities within the values and professional framework of the philosophy of Hurtt.
- Works cooperatively with co-workers, providers, volunteers, students and patients.
- Provides positive, supportive, and caring behavior in all communication to patients, visitors and staff.
- Adheres to the policies, procedures, and standards of Hurtt Family Health Clinic.
These duties are not exclusive and with consideration of the job requirements and employee skills, this job description can be added to or taken away from at the discretion of the employee’s immediate supervisor.
The Hurtt Family Health Clinic is a local community health clinic organization that provides medical, dental, vision, chiropractic, and behavioral health services to low-income patients in Orange County, California. Our organization has four clinics within Orange County located in Tustin, Santa Ana, and Anaheim.
Please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or 714-247-4375 with any questions regarding the application process.