Director of Nursing
The HURTT Family Health Clinic is a Community Health Clinic Organization is a Federally Qualified Health Clinic (FQHC) and provides healthcare to the neediest of our Orange County, CA community members. The HFHC is looking to add a Director of Nursing to our growing organization. This position will oversee the nursing staff (including Medical Assistants and Licensed Vocational Nurses) and their services to ensure proper patient care and clinical competence. The Director of Nursing also renders quality health care within the limitations of professional licensing to the community, participate in the Quality Assurance and Risk Management meetings.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
All responsibilities and duties listed below are subject to change, be removed or added to at any time depending on the needs of the clinic and patients.
Clinic-Wide Nursing Supervision
- Oversees nursing operations at all Hurtt Family Health Clinic locations.
- Leads, models, practices, and ensures clinical excellence in all nursing activities at HURTT. Recognizes that the RN role is one of leadership and involves mentoring staff.
- Provides clinical and administrative supervision over all clinic nurses, medical assistant leads, and medical assistants, ensuring clinical competence and meeting of goals.
- Ensures that the nursing staff utilizes supplies and equipment appropriately and maintains adequate logs. Works with operations to maintain equipment in working order.
- Serves as a liaison with Quest and Labcorp, and the Orange County Health Care Agency for lab and lab results related issues.
- Leads and ensures nursing tracking of post-hospitalization outreach and follow-up.
- Leads and ensures nursing tracking of pregnant patients referred for prenatal care and follows up on birth outcomes and post-partum care.
- Oversees clinic vaccination programs and procedures, including tuberculosis screening. Ensures appropriate completion of vaccine usage logs and temperature logs which may be delegated to lead nursing supervisors at the clinic sites.
- Ensures quality and safety of laboratory services are performed in the clinics.
- Creates and implements workflows and standing orders for medical assistants and nurses to assist licensed independent practitioners of medical services at HURTT.
- Oversees medical assistant leads in the implementation and tracking of a competency-based clinical excellence program for nursing staff, and ensures an annual competency assessment is conducted for all non-licensed nursing staff working at HURTT.
- Supervises clinical rotations with nursing schools and MA training programs. This function maybe delegated to nurses or lead medical assistants.
- Manages infection control by assuring the implementation of current standards of infection control and safety regulations. Develops and/or periodically revises policies and procedures related to infection control.
- Maintains a current understanding of regulatory trends and changes in law (i.e. Title 22, vaccine storage and management, Vaccines for Children, CDC guidelines for Infection Control and Blood borne Pathogen Management).
- Works in conjunction with the Executive Assistant to the Executive Director and Human Resources to coordinate external nursing events and all staff TB testing, COVID vaccination or testing events.
- Participates in annual UDS and OSHPD reporting.
Quality Improvement and Special Programs
- Co-chairs in the QA/QI meetings.
- Works closely with the Reporting and Compliance Manager and the Director of Operations for maintenance of certification as a Patient Centered Medical Home (PCMH).
- Works closely with the Reporting and Compliance Manager and the Director of Operations to implement and execute improvement projects (PDSA’s) with the CQI team.
- Oversees collaborative or contractual partnerships related to the Medicare Chronic Care Management Program in collaboration with the Medical Director.
- Attends leadership meetings, submits required reports to the team, provides input and assists in the direction of the clinic.
- Represents HURTT to outside entities, including Schools of Nursing and other local healthcare providers.
- Serves in a leadership role on the Risk Management team in partnership with the Risk Manager and Director of Operations to manage clinic-wide incidents and grievances.
- Review and investigate incident reports and grievances by working with the supervisor of the department involved. Report these on a bi-monthly basis to the Risk Management committee. Monitor trends and make recommendations for improvement and to mitigate risk.
- Works with the Medical Director, Director of Operations, and Human Resources Director on clinical aspects of risk management in HURTT.
- Participates in special events, fundraising activities, and other functions/networking meetings as needed.
- Ability to maintain clinic location fiscal budget oversight including department expenditures and staffing plans/budgets to ensure the highest level of patient safety is achieved.
- Assist in annual audits with providing information when requested.
- Assist in developing financial strategies with changing healthcare environment and needs of our patients and the clinics.
- Supervise a staff RNs/LVNs, medical assistant leads, and clinically supervise medical assistants.
- Typically manages through subordinate managers and professionals in larger groups of moderate complexity.
- Provides input to strategic decisions that affect the functional area of responsibility.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in Nursing (BSN) required, Masters preferred (MSN) but not required with more related work experience.
- License/Certification:California Registered Nurse license (active and in good standing).
Basic Life Saving certification (active and in good standing)
- Work Experience:Five years of RN work experience in a community clinic, urgent care, emergency room, family practice with multiple providers. Clinical Case Management experience is preferred.
- Supervisory Experience:1-3 years (depending on the needs of the clinic at that time) of nursing supervisory/managerial oversight in a health clinic, urgent care, hospital, medical provider practice setting with 3 or more staff members.
- Language: Bilingual (fluent) in Spanish including medical terminology is preferred but not required.
- Ability to make independent decision when circumstances warrant such action.
- Ability to deal tactfully with personnel, patients, visitors, government agencies and the general public.
- Knowledgeable regarding nursing and medical practices and procedures, as well as laws, regulations and guidelines that pertain to community health.
- Must be able to work with patients with disabilities, behavioral health issues, and at times hostile patients within the clinics.
- Ability to demonstrate effective decision-making by assessing situations accurately, sharing fact-based information, communicating professional opinions clearly and inquiring actively.
- Ability to work autonomously, taking initiative and problem-solving within the scope of an RN license.
- Flexibility to perform in an ever-changing work environment with frequent interruptions.
- Knowledge and understand the psychosocial factors involved in administering health service for underserved community and homeless patients.
- Ability to work effectively in a multicultural and socio-economic environment with the ability to treat all with dignity, compassion and respect at all times.
- Knowledge, understanding and ability to provide the basic principles of patient education.
- Ability to foster a safe and confidential environment where people (patients) feel comfortable to share private, pertinent information for effective treatment.
- Demonstrated “detail-approach” to administration, organization and decision-making.
- Ability to communicate effectively in verbal and in written form to patients, coworkers, management, volunteers and visitors in a professional and positive manner.
- Educated on current state laws and regulations regarding community clinic patient care.
- Maintain required licensing and current CNE requirements in a timely manner and continuously work on professional development in area of expertise.
- Ability to recognize and maintain confidentiality of information regarding organization and patient information as appropriate.
- Self-motivated when working in the team environment and have the ability to work effectively on individual projects when needed.
- Uphold professional integrity as a representative of the of the HURTT Family Health Clinic organization at all times.
- Basic computer knowledge, understanding and skill in Microsoft Office Software programs such as: Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Edge.
- Basic Electronic Health/Medical Records (EHR/EMR) database system knowledge (knowledge and skill of eClinicalWorks is preferred but not required)
- Regular timely attendance.
- This position and employment is considered “Essential Employment” and will be expected to continue job duties with flexibility for the HURTT Family Healthcare Clinic during a community crisis, disaster or emergency.
- A valid California drivers’ license and acceptable driving record (organization Insurance Coverage requires no more than 2points on MVR)
The Hurtt Clinic is affiliated with the Orange County Rescue Mission, a non-profit; Faith based organization that serves the needs of the low income and homeless community members of Orange County, CA. To officially apply for this position, please go to the HURTT Clinic Employment Portal by taking the link below “APPLY HERE” to complete a HURTT Clinic employment application. Please use a computer as mobile devices seem to have problems when applying. You may also request and submit an application be emailed to you or you may pick up an application to complete at our main HR office located at 1 Hope Drive, Tustin, CA 92782. You may submit your application by email, fax (714)566-6461or regular mail (attention Human Resources). This position is open until filled.